Sometime ago while looking through one of my suppliers’ sites I came across Tahitian Black Sand and I just had to buy it. Every time I see it I wonder what I am going to do with it. So when Amy announced this month’s challenge was to recreate a landscape scene I immediately thought of doing a black sand beach. I Googled Tahitian black sand beaches and quite frankly the results were not very inspirational – they just were not very pretty. I keep putting off making the soap and then I got busy preparing for the first big craft show of my season which was last Saturday. So Amy’s email saying it was time to post came as a surprise.
I thought about skipping this month but I really wanted to use that darn sand. Another search and I came up with a picture that I thought might be workable and have a little bit of interest to it. I studied the picture quickly and made a drawing of how I thought I could pour the soap.
Ideally I should have allowed at least two days to complete the layers but I knew the fragrance (Crafters Choice Beach) is a fast mover. I decided that I would mix my colors and add the fragrance to each color just prior to pouring and hoped the layer would set up while I was preparing the next one. It did work but not as well as I had hoped – there is some minor mixing of the colors. When I got to the sky, I realized that I had not left enough white for the clouds. I used what I had and then called on my cache of melt and pour soap for the balance.
Since the soap was in a silicon mold I was afraid I might have to wait an extra day or two to remove it – talk about last minute. But I gently pulled one side and it released easily. The soap popped right out. Here are the result:
Overall I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out and am really happy that I didn’t take the easy way out and just skip this one. Now I am looking forward to trying soap with sand as an exfoliant.
Thanks Amy this was another fun challenge.