Fluid Pour Soap Challenge

 

This months soap challenge is similar to the fluid pour acrylic painting technique – we were allowed to pour our soap batter but could only use a straw to blow the design we wished to achieve.  The most common design using this technique (at least the most used in the videos I watched) was the flowering technique.  You pour a single color or multiple colors in the center and then use the straw to blow the colors out in a flower like pattern.  But I wanted something different what I had in mind was to make my soap look like waves with white caps and I would call it angry seas.

I knew that most of the ocean/ozone fragrances tend to accelerate how the soap sets up.  For this technique you need a soap batter that stays fluid.  I have a fragrance called Sea Kelp by Rustic Ecsentuals so I checked their listing description and read “CP Notes: No discoloration, no acceleration. Soaped like a dream!”  Yes this would work!  My oils and lye were around 100 and everything seemed fine.  It took a few minutes to mix the colors because there were seven of them.   Well by the time I started to pour, the colors were starting to get thick.  Technically it was not acceleration – it wasn’t soap on a stick- but it was thick like pudding.  I decided to keep on going and poured a thin layer as my base then my idea was to pour lines across the mold and blow them to look like waves.  There was a box of straws in my drawer that I use to make imbeds for my watermelon soap that I planned to use.  The minute I put the straw in my mouth I knew I was in for more trouble.  It was a larger than normal straw and I couldn’t get enough air flow to make the soap move.  What to do?  I couldn’t stop now.  So I began to frantically look around my workshop for another straw or something that might work.  No smaller straws anywhere but I noticed a bag of pipettes.  I cut the end of a pipette and it worked.  I was more than a little concerned because the pipette was so short with the end cut off – I would have to be extra careful about how I handled it.

With the soap thicker than it should be the blues didn’t blend together the way I wanted so I decided to keep rotating the mold and pouring the waves in different directions before using my make-shift straw.  Then another mishap – the lovely green that was going to blend in with the blues turned mustard yellow.  Oh well that will work – we will just say it is the angry sea churning up the bottom.  Although I didn’t get exactly what I had envisioned, I am pretty happy with the results.  (I had to be – there is no time for a second try).

 

Colors mixed and ready to pour

 

Finished pouring and ready to go into a tub with a heating pad to try to force gel. Oh how I wish I had an oven in the workshop.

Freshly

24 hours later – out of the mold and ready to cut

 

Soap is showing some ash – we will need to clean this up

These two bars were washed to remove the ash

 

These bars were planed to remove the ash

 

I like the washed bars better because they show the movement of the soap

Another fun challenge – thank you Amy